The VNA has announced that the Janet S. Munt Family Room will transition from being a program of the VNA to a newly created freestanding non-profit organization in July 2017. The successor organization will be led by a Board of Directors with representation from community leaders and current Family Room parents, who together bring expertise and skills that will benefit Family Room as they move forward under this new structure.
The new Board, currently in place and functioning as a Steering Committee until the 501(c)3 status is granted, will be working with the VNA in the coming months to ensure a smooth transition of programs and services. This will include work on a joint fundraising effort to ensure adequate funding for transition and start-up related expenses.
The VNA will continue to operate Family Room programs through June 30, 2017 and anticipates transitioning these responsibilities to the successor organization on July 1, 2017.
Family Room has been a vital and beloved resource for families in our community since its founding in 1988. We look forward to seeing the program’s continued success in the future, carrying on the proud history of building strong families that began with Janet Munt so many years ago.
A transition fund has been set-up to support one-time expenses associated with establishing Family Room as a freestanding organization. You may contribute to this through our VNA online donation form here and select Family Room Transition Fund in the drop down list of programs.
About Family Room
Established in 1988, Family Room is one of 15 state-designated parent-child centers in Vermont providing a wide range of programming and support for parents and children from birth through age six in Burlington’s Old North End.
We offer a variety of programs for parents and children from birth through six-years-old, provide information about community resources for families, and partner with other social service agencies for more effective service delivery. Our programs are designed to:
- Foster children’s emotional development and social relationships
- Promote children’s early language, literacy and school readiness
- Help parents strengthen their families through support, information and education
- Create vibrant, diverse community
All services are free to participants thanks to funding from state grants and contracts, VNA charitable care contributions, private foundation grants, and support from individual donors and community organizations.
- Family Room Preschool – licensed program that runs three days a week for 18 three- and four-year-olds.
- Strong Families Program – An enrolled, 22-week curriculum-based parent education program where parents learn how to recognize and understand their child’s feelings.
- Family Play Program – a drop-in parent-child interactive play and literacy session offered one day a week with parent education and support, ESL classes for caregivers, projects to promote cross-cultural relationship and a summer gardening/outdoor education component.
- Fathers and Children Together (FACT) Program – a play-based program that allows fathers and kids under 6 years old to spend time together while offering parent education and support.
Family Room Monthly Calendar
Frequently Asked Questions
Who provides these services?
Have questions about our Family Room?
Call Toki Eley, or use the contact form to the upper right.(802) 860-4420